Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2011

Die Kultur Texte

I think that the culture text in the book about Vienna is very interesting. This capital of Austria used to be the capital of huge portions of other countries during the Austro-Hungarian Empire times. This city was home to many composers, filmmakers, artists, writers, playwrights and the psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud. The city also has a lot of history and things to do in general and also to learn about the history. "At ist heart is der Stephansdom, the seat of the cardinal of Austria and Austria's national cathedral, dating back to 1147 with distinctly Gothic influences from the early 14th century." Today is has some of the city's history mixed with the modern times and sites.
I also think it is very interesting that German's keep everything from their early ages in order to compile it all for job applications or even use it for university student, tax payer and homer owner applications. They also usually have a wall dedicated to Leitz Ordner which is their accomplishments. I think the different in document hoarding and safe keeping is interesting between cultures.
Finally, I also found the Love Thy Neighbor interesting. I think that some of the laws or rules are very different here than they are in Germany. Some of them I could not see working here in the U.S., but none the less, they are interesting to read about and provide a way of understanding the German culture. For example, one rule is that you should barbeque only once a month in order not to bother your neighbors with the small of the food. I also find it interesting that it is your reliability to shovel and salt your sidewalk in front of your house because if someone gets hurt, it is your fault for not taking care of the sidewalk. This shows that German's watch out for their neighbors, but many also not have a lot of leeway for what they can or can not do.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.