Mittwoch, 9. November 2011

Kultur 4

The "Dinner for One" video was funny. I'm not surprised that people outside of Germany don't know this tradition, just as I wouldn't be surprised if the people in Germany didn't know about our traditions. I do find it weird though that the Germans have picked up a little known British comedy as one of their favorite New Years traditions.

I liked the idea presented in "Sorry, We're Closed" of everyone shutting down on Sunday. Although most things here in the US will shut down on Sunday, it would be nice if they all did (like they do in Germany). That way I wouldn't be as tempted to go out on Sunday when I should be doing homework.

The German version of Father's Day is a much different occasion than the American Father's Day. All of the men get drunk in Germany on this day (all of them, not just the fathers). I liked the picture that went along with the article showing the army being called in to take care of a disorderly father.

I always thought that the Brothers Grimm wrote their fairy tales themselves, but according the the Brennpunkt Kultur, they compiled the stories based on talking with talented story tellers. I also learned that the Grimm Brothers are regarded as the founders of modern German studies.

Another interesting fact I learned from the Brennpunkt Kultur is that die Schweiz is one of the oldest democracies in Europe (dating back to 1291).

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.