Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2011

Kultur 5

Spiegel Timeline

I was surprised to see Germany in the middle of the global crowd for the past half century. From WWII to the Cold War and after, Germany has been a very competitive country. In addition, I was a little set back when I saw the record unemployment in 2005; a time when western countries were experiencing low unemployment. To see Germany reach record unemployment only 15 years after its reunification is fairly shocking.

Breaking Down the Wall in the Head

I was a bit surprised when I saw the poll that said that a quarter of West Berliners wanted the wall rebuilt, and 12% of East Berliners said they didn't want a United Germany. It seems that both sides have grudges on the other, and it is sad to see that because the last thing Germany needs are grudges. However, I am glad to see that the youth have gotten stronger from their experiences with the Wall up. Maybe we need something like that in America to make us stronger!

Ostalgie

East Germans saw the cultural aspects under the German Democratic Republic slowly vanish.
Some of these Germans tried to preserve what was left of Ossie Crosswalk Man.

Backward Southerners

The North and Southern parts of Germany have contrasting cultures, foods, politics, and religion. This is very similar in America.
Additionally, like in America, Northern Germany has its industrialized society while the Southern parts are rural and full of farmland.

Vorsprung

I believe that some of the most important dates for Germany were:

1871: Germany unified
1933: Hitler becomes Chancellor and rises to power.
1945: Unconditional surrender by Germany.
1961: The Wall (Mauer) is built between Berlin.
1989: The fall of the Wall.
1990: Germany is re-unified.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.